Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Applique on Jeans Tutorial

I always wondered how people did this:
Now that I know, I thought I would share for those of you out there who have been wondering the same.  This is a custom order I had for one of my customers. I will not show you how I made the whole outfit but just how I appliqued on the pant legs.  Let's get started.
1.  Use heatbond lite - my favorite to the back of the fabric you want to applique.
2.  I then cut the length off the pants that i wanted to add ruffles but that is not what this tutorial is about so i am moving on.  Then take the seam ripper and rip the inner seams to the jeans high enough for you to sew around your designs.


3.  Lay out your applique on the jeans the way you want to sew them on.  Peel the backing off and iron into place.

4.  Now head on over to the sewing machine and stitch into place


5. Since this was such an intricate design i used a straight stitch.  To keep from fraying I used the wonderful product- Fray Check around the design.
6.  Stitch up inner seam.

7.  you are done with the applique part- you can also skip all the work and hire me to do it all for you;)

21 comments:

  1. I LOVE this I am so glad I skipped all the work and had you make it for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! how did you get the link for my Etsy site to have that picture? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! great idea to just take the jeans apart! Stop on by and link this up at my Thursday carnival, Make it, Wear it.

    Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute -- yes I did wonder how they did it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love applique. Your tutorial is great! The jeans look so fun and really darling!

    You did a beautiful job!

    Hope you get a chance to stop by and visit me!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial and the pants and top are so cute!! I know your client is thrilled with the results!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No way! I thought the 1st picture was from the store, but then I kept reading and you made it. Great job!!! I love it.

    Thanks again for joining Get your Craft on Thurs.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been planning on doing some pants appliques, but hadn't figured out how to do the sewing. I hadn't thought of opening up the leg seam. When I get my project up, I'll be sure to link back here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for linking up! this turned out so cute. And your Tutorial is so clear! (I struggle in that area)

    I'm featuring both of your outfits today- one in each post, in the Clothing sections. It'll make sense when you check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea and the tute! So beautiful. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to let you know that I featured this here:
    http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunday-spotlight-soys-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. That outfit is adorable!! You did a great job! I love that fray stop stuff too!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great tutorial even for a non-sewer like myself. Glad to see a fellow New Mexican and stay at home mom being featured like this. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so cute!

    Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back tomorrow to see which links from last week are featured, and to add your new links!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just darling! What a great idea to open up the pant leg. So much easier to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wanted to let you know that I've posted two different tutorials on my blog that are variations of this and have linked back to you. Thanks so much for sharing!
    http://helpinglittlehands.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-pants-appliques-add-some-bling.html

    and

    http://helpinglittlehands.blogspot.com/2010/03/disguised-knee-patches-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete