Saturday, May 29, 2010

Shaka Shake Tutorial

I have been meaning to put this up for awhile but time always gets away from me.  This is a great craft to re-purpose those Easter eggs and to make a musical instrument for your child or they can make it themselves.  My daughter calls it a shaka shake so that is what I am calling it. To start you need rice, egg, tissue paper, brush, tape, and mod podge.

Go ahead and fix yourself a drink too!
I put about 1/8 cup of rice in the egg.

Then tape close.  The first time I did this craft, I made it with my MOPS group.  I told them to use the mod podge to seal the egg shut and I thought that would hold up but my kids busted theirs open by the end of the day.  So go ahead and tape it.

Then you will paint the egg with mod podge and begin putting tissue squares on top.

You will also paint some mod podge on top of your tissue layer to seal it.

Once it is completely covered with tissue and mod podge, let it dry and the best place to put it that I found is on freezer paper because it doesn't really stick to the wax side when drying. When it is dry it is ready to
SHAKA - SHAKE

ENJOY!

12 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I'm going to make some right now! (It's nap time after all) :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaka-shaka! What a great idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea, I'm sure the kids love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea, looks like the kids loved it too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect craft for a rainy day like today when the kids are out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea! fun for kiddos...! come link up to making monday marvelous! happy memorial day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun, my kids would LOVE those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to shaka shake with my daughter! Stopping by from the penny pinching party.
    -Mama E
    www.homeandheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! My son would love this! Thanks!

    Amanda

    www.notyetinvented.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun project - My little guy would love these! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these before but never thought to mod podge the out side what a great idea to make it look nice after taping them shut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete