Monday, May 31, 2010

Recycled Can Lid Necklace


Well I have this idea and another in my head for awhile, so when Fawnda from Fireflies and Jellybeans announced a competition for the Iron Crafter using recyced cans, I knew I must enter.

 Lets get started!!
First I took the lids off using a borrowed pampered chef can opener.  They take the complete lid off leaving no sharp edges. 

Next I make a hole at the top so I could turn it into a necklace.

Then I planned how I wanted to decorate the inside of the lid.  I thought of it like I was scrapbooking.  Then I put the base paper which was a brown paper with pink dots.  I glued it all down with mod podge.  I carefully made the hole in my paper to match the lid and re-inserted the nail to keep the hole clear.  I put judkins diamond glaze on top and let dry.  When it is dry remove the nail and string and bead. If you need instructions on making a necklace check out this previous post for a  Necklace Tutorial

I really wanted to have another entry for this competition but I doubt I will have the time. Maybe it will be a future post. 

18 comments:

  1. Well this entry is great, I can hardly wait to see the other idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm impressed with this. :) Who would think that it's made from a lid! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a great way to make a bold statement piece. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! I like to repurpose packaging materials as well. Come see me sometime - I'm giving away some glam Sam Moon cuff bracelets on my blog:
    www.sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com
    ♥Laurie (The Domestic Detective)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOnderful! I love it!

    Thanks for entering The Iron Crafter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Super fabulous idea! I am from Texas and the bigger the jewelery the better! I am totally going to have to make something like that! Thanks for the great inspiration!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so pretty! I love the beading. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the attitude of the size when paired with the word 'adored'

    ReplyDelete
  9. neat idea! I'm visiting with sugar bee. come on over and seeme sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cute! Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so creative! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow! how on earth did you think from "can to necklace"? that is way cute:)

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun and funky. I love me a good necklace! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. absolutely great.

    do include the tutorial in the new WEEKLY DIY TUTORIAL linky party:
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-linky-party-free-pillow-crochet-pattern/

    ... and while you're at FCG ... put your name in the hat to win a $50 gift certificate for gorgeous silver customizable jewelry pieces by Lisa Leonard. You'll love her work. The giveaway is in the DIY link party article...

    Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete